Monday, June 24, 2013

Sticks and Stones

You ever noticed how the internet seems to have encouraged people of all walks to say just dreadful things about others?  I never was a big fan of George W, but I also did not call him anything like what people I know and otherwise respect, have called Obama.  I get on a motorcycle chat line in craigslist and people can say really nasty things about people they don’t know.  I am not religious, but I remember “let he who is without sin cast the first stone” and “judge not lest ye be judged”.  And growing up I was told “if you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything” and “don’t criticize until you have walked a mile in the others shoes”.  What happened to that value?  Why are we so quick to judge and condemn based on what we read, hear or feel, without knowing the facts or looking for mitigating factors.  I know this sounds a bit naïve but why must we allow ourselves to sink to the level of name calling when we can just argue our points but respect the other.  My brother-in-law, Dave and I are just about polar opposites on our politics, but I really enjoy discussing our view points without anger, respecting each other and at the end I always feel good about our exchanges and our relationship. So to my  friends, know that I respect your arguments and viewpoints and I appreciate it when you give your rationale for your beliefs, but understand that others have differing viewpoints and that does not make us wrong or not your friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment